Alright grooms, this one’s just for you! With the next installment in our WS Stylist Series, see the first two features here and here, we figured it’s high time we focus on the man of the hour. Because as important as a bride is on her wedding day, let’s face it, she would be nowhere without her best accessory, her groom. To ensure you look nothing but stylish and sharp while in the spotlight with your bride, we’ve got the top tips for selecting your tailored wedding look straight from the subject matter experts, the stylists at Toronto’s leading menswear store, Gotstyle.
Top 9 Tips for Selecting Your Wedding Suit
1. Don’t Rent. Buy. In order to look your best on the big day, shopping off the rack or made-to-measure suiting is the best way to go. Rented suits are cut for the overall fit of every body type. Sleeves are often too long, waistbands are synched with buckles and sloppy pant hems are pretty much a given. Invest in a suit of your own for your big day that’ll also keep as a long term addition to your wardrobe.
2. The Perfect Fit. The most important thing to think about when buying a suit for your wedding is fit. Just because it is trimmed with lapels you like or is graced with a ticket pocket doesn’t mean it’s the right look for you. Every body is different. Purchasing a suit that fits your body type is the key to keeping you comfortable and feeling good on your big day.
3. Let Your Personality Shine. Your wedding is a day you want to present the best version of who you are. Really like the look of a double-breasted suit but haven’t had the opportunity to wear one? Feel more comfortable in trousers and a blazer? Now’s the time to show your personal style. Your wedding attire should be an extension of who you are when you’re at your very best.
4. Color Conscious. Classic charcoal, crisp navy and breathtaking black are all wonderful options for a wedding suit that can easily work back into your daily wardrobe, but don’t be afraid to go with something bold. Your wedding is a wonderful opportunity to be adventurous. Try a non-traditional color choice such as light grey, burgundy or even electric blue to really get the attention of your family and friends.
5. The Tricks of Tailoring. Once you’ve selected a suit that matches your personality and fits your frame, the final step to perfect fit is alterations. All true gentlemen work with a tailor to tweak any minor adjustment that may be needed to an off the rack suit. Alterations are necessary to perfecting your wedding wear.
6. Detailed Decorations. Accessories are a wonderful way to incorporate your personality or even your wedding theme into your look. Tie bars or rings, lapel pins and suspenders are standout additions, while colored socks or shoelaces have become a wedding staple. For something really special, play with your look throughout the day. Go with a traditional tie during the ceremony and then switch it out for something fun like a patterned bow tie for the reception.
7. Pattern Play. A wedding is arguably the most festive of occasions and always an opportunity to celebrate. Wearing a printed tie, a shirt with a pattern, or even a whimsical pocket square are simple adjustments that will take your suit from business to pleasure. The more fashion forward groom can go as bold as to wear a printed suit in a windowpane or glen check fabric.
8. Conform to the Code. A simple way to alleviate wedding day wardrobe stress is to dress to the code suggested for your guests. If you’re having a casual summer wedding consider wearing a blazer and trousers or a linen suit without a tie. A cocktail dress code pairs perfectly with a shawl collar jacket and tuxedo pant. By following the dress code you eliminate other wardrobe options that can make selecting a wedding outfit complicated.
9. Master of the Mismatch. The final and perhaps least obvious tip is this, the bride does not wear the same dress as the bridesmaids, nor should the groom have to wear the same look as the groomsmen. Differentiating yourself from your groomsmen can be as simple as choosing a different colored tie or adding a vest, to something as unique as wearing a light blue suit while your groomsmen sport navy. It’s your day. Don’t be shy to stand out and enjoy!
With more than eight years of experience helping the men of Toronto find modern, refined looks for every occasion, GOTSTYLE™ has become known as a leading figure in Canadian menswear. They are committed to providing the most inclusive shopping experience, fulfilling every client’s unique requirements in terms of style, tailoring and grooming. Retail locations house edgy, well-edited collections that encompass business, casual, formal and social looks to help make any man a sartorial star.
Last But Not Least
Join us next Friday for the final installment in our Stylist Series, our jewellery feature, showcasing some of the most stunning pieces you’ve ever seen!